Monday, July 23, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

Being away on  vacation with no internet access has its advantages. Last week, we (myself and hubby) took the kids camping and had an awesome time. No computer, no internet, no media.

While camping I had an opportunity to catch up on my reading. Finished City of Lost Souls (book 5 in Cassandra Clare's series). Loved it as I knew I would and cannot wait for the next one.

Disclaimer: The following is not an official review and it's just my opinion. I do not review books, I write them;)

I also had a chance to read Fifty Shades of Grey to see what all the hype has been all about and yes, I see it. I can understand why women in particular are attracted to the book. There are many elements of Twilight and the characters are likable. The male lead is as fictional as you can get, nevertheless, women will fall for him even if you will never find a guy like that on earth (I'm sure his flaw will be washed away in one of the next two books. He will be magically cured by his creator E.L. James).

I didn't enjoy the style of writing, and I'm sure that's just me because it's very different from the way I write. BUT I did enjoy the story and focused more on that and the relationship between Christian and Ana and I'm curious to see what will happen next. The story line was well developed and clear. As a writer I can already predict some twists from the back story.

Do I honestly care whether the book was originally supposed to be fan fiction of another novel (Twilight). No, not really. Because to me reading books always boils down to enjoying the story and losing myself in the lives of the characters, which is exactly what this book did.

Yes, the sex is quite graphic (and I'm sure it will be in the next two novels), but honestly I don't know what people expect from an erotic romance (as there's been quite a bit of controversy regarding the sex). It's exactly what it says it is: an erotic romance.

On a different note, Two Halves is on sale this week only for $0.99.

Have you had a chance to read Fifty Shades? What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

shelly said...

The opinions and reviews on this book vary across the boards.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not my style of read, but like Twilight, I can understand why it's popular.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I haven't read it. I tend to avoid books/films that are overly hyped and then come back to them a couple of years after the furore has died down. The two main camps seems to be adore and loathe, with nothing in between - I think that's what interests me the most!

Ciara said...

I agree with everything you said about Fifty Shades. Wow, no internet, just reading? Sounds like a little piece of Heaven.

Gina Gao said...

This is not my type of book. Sorry, but that's just not my style.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I don't read erotica so it's not one I'll be reading.