Monday, June 4, 2012

Reading Lists / Cost of Books

WORD FOR THIS POST:

Read (v): 1. to look at carefully so as to understand the meaning of (something written, printed, etc.): to read a book; to read music.

I'm still recuperating from a wonderful wedding this past Saturday so my words are a little blurry today. Please forgive :)  And no, I didn't drink (I can't and don't drink) but had so much fun with the family I didn't want to leave.

Now, onto the post....

I've been writing quite a bit the past couple of months and the time schedule didn't allow me to read too much; actually at all. So it's not surprising that the minute I saw bookshelves in a local Walmart I was drawn like a moth to a bright light.

I couldn't take my eyes off all the titles I've been meaning to buy.  There are some that I collect and needed the last couple of  hardbacks to complete my beautiful collection (Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices). I can't wait to read City of Lost Souls :)

My purchases didn't end there :(  I had to get on the Fifty Shades of  Grey paperback as well. (I held of on the other two in the series because that would be too much for the bank account.

Now, let me tell you. It's been a while since I purchased a book in a bookstore or any other store. I usually buy ebooks. The two hardbacks and a paperback cost me $48 ! That's after a 40% store discount.

Wow! I couldn't believe my eyes. That much for 3 books! To me, that's a lot of money (especially on books) For those of you who own ereading devices, you know that $48 can get you quite far for ebooks, especially if they're by self or indie published (yes, there is a difference).

So far, I've been reading books on my computer, but now, after having spent $48 on physical books, I think it's time to invest in a reading device. That's my Christmas wish list (if you're reading hubby).

The past weekend I read Divergent by Veronica Roth. I'm very mixed about the book. I enjoyed it very much and want to continue into the series, but something about it made me very sad. Yes, I know it's a dystopian / post-apocalyptic novel, but I didn't have that feeling after reading the Hunger Games. I must say that as a writer I no longer read books the same way I used to. I find the back stories quicker and make the connection immediately, and perhaps that has an effect on the quality of my enjoyment of books. Nevertheless, the book is very well written and I really liked the characters (SPOILER ALERT: though wish some had not died.)

Reading a book this past weekend has been enlightening. I think it restored my energy more than I expected and I'm ready to jump into writing again:)

Have you read any interesting books lately?  Have you made a jump to an ereader yet? I already feel like I'm the last one to purchase an ereader:)

7 comments:

Cate Masters said...

I was lucky, my kids gave me a Kindle for Mother's Day a year ago. I mostly buy ebooks these days, and troll the Kindle freebie list often.

Shelly said...

I love my Kindle. It's great. And I love when I find free books to download.

Ciara said...

I do have a Kindle. I mostly read on that, but will buy a paperback once in awhile. I bought the paper back for 50 shades because it was cheaper than the e-boo. Crazy.

Cassie Mae said...

I go to Amazon.com and buy the paperback when it's the same price as the ebook, lol. Weird, right? But I've been reading a ton of 'funny' books lately. All of them making me laugh out loud and wonder if I can ever be as good a writer as that, lol.

I love those kind of books! So I don't mind paying for them :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fifty bucks could buy you a lot of eBooks! I've been reading eBooks on my iPad for two years now and I've only purchased one physical book since that time.

Colleen said...

I just got a Kindle two weeks ago! I love it...even though I too would rather buy the physical book if it costs the same as the e-book.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Wow - that is a lot of money - but I still prefer print.