Thursday, April 5, 2012

E = Electricity

E is for Electricity

Electricity (n): 1. electric charge 2. electric current. 3.the science dealing with electric charges  and currents. 4. a state or feeling of excitement, anticipation, tension, etc.


Remember how we used to cook our food, heat and light our homes and make hand shadows with one simple natural element? Fire

No, me neither. But, some people in this world still do rely on it the same way we rely on electricity








This simple light bulb developed in the 1970's was the first publicly available application of electrical power (Wikipedia) Think how many of these you go through in a lifetime, yet some don't even know it exists.









It seems unnatural to harness such power, but humans weren't the first to discover electricity.
The electric eel uses it as self-defense from predators.










These terrify me. As a child in Eastern Europe I had to drink Iodine when the plant in Chernobyl exploded. I will never forget that day. I know the consequences of radiation exposure too well.
IMO, our nations rely on this energy too much.

My next fictional WIP has a lot to do with nuclear power plants.





I wish we could harness and store the electricity which nature provides us with every second, of every day.






What's the first thing you'd do if the power went out right now?

11 comments:

Jaime said...

I haven't made coffee yet so I'd probably take a drive for a cup of Jo. Love your lightening idea.

Ghadeer said...

I never realized how dependant on electricity we are until I spent a summer in Iraq (my home country). When there are power cuts every few hours that last for ages, it is difficult keeping your mind off the heat and your inability to do anything.

Erin M. Hartshorn said...

If the power went out right now? Well, first I'd close out my computer programs and shut it down nicely while the UPS provided backup. Then I'd sit down and read a book.

Erin

Margo Kelly said...

If the power went out right now ... I'd be on the phone to the Electric Company asking how long before they restore it!!! haha

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I think "Oh, I should have ...." I miss electricity when it's not available to me, but do my best during the day to use very little of it. I can imagine your personal experience with Chernobyl will add a lot to your new work. Best of luck.

Annalisa Crawford said...

We rely more and more on electricity - even things that didn't used to need electricity now do... like the landline phone!

Changes in the wind said...

Great E post......

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Panic? Use my iPad until that died?
Wild you had to drink iodine. That must've been a scary time.

Ciara said...

I think that is a brilliant idea, Marta. Why don't we figure out a way to use natural energy like lightening, tornadoes, or hurricanes.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Ummm...I would go outside and sit in the bright sun. :D


My E

M Pax said...

We have so much wind and sun where I am, they could take almost all households off the grid if they wanted to. Later in AtoZ I have a post about nanogenerators that generate power through body movement.