Monday, March 5, 2012

Why Books are like Fish

WORD FOR THIS POST:

Sate (v): 1. to satisfy (any appetite or desire) fully. 2.to fill to excess; surfeit; glut.

First, I don't know what's going on with my Google Friends Connect, because the box seems to be loading forever and my friends are not there  :(  So, if you're a follower of this blog, sign in using the new Linky Tool on the right.

Thank you to Hope Roberson for the sunshine award! I'm still smiling.



Books vs. Fish

The thought of books being like fish came to me last week. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. So, here are my thoughts on why books are like fish:

* there are plenty of fish in the sea with millions being born each year
* many books available to buy, with millions being published each year

* schools of fish survive longer than singled out ones
* authors with larger backlists have greater chances of survival through sales

* fish often attract mates through display of their colours, size, strength
* books attract readers (their mates) with beautiful and well designed covers

* fishing takes patience
* finding a good book and being published takes patience

* a good hook will catch a good fish quicker
* a good blurb will catch a reader quicker

* a fish that's thrown back in the sea is lucky to live
* a book that's picked up by a new reader is lucky to live

* fish will lay many eggs to increase its chances of survival
* a writer will continue writing, increasing their word count and number of titles to survive 

* it takes luck not to be eaten by a bigger fish
* it takes luck for a small author to be discovered amongst the big ones


So, are you a shark or a sardine? I'm a carp, hoping to be a barracuda by the end of the year:)
Will you be swimming with us for the A-Z Challenge this April?

6 comments:

Ciara said...

Love this! :) Yes, I'll be with you on the A-Z. I have to try to find my 500 lost Google Connect friends since Google no longer supports Wordpress. :(

Unknown said...

I never thought about this, but you're right books and fish are a lot alike. I think I'm a guppy hoping to grow up to be a swordfish by the end of the this year. :) I hope that's a good analogy, I haven't had caffeine, yet.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good analogy! I'd rather be something likeable such as a dolphin, but they aren't fish, they're mammals.
And all signed up under Linky Followers.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I've given you an award too. They never come alone, do they? :-)

MISH said...

Very interesting analogy - who would have thought that books & fish would have anything in common?
Ah, I feel your anguish... GFC disappeared with my 117 peeps... I also had the Linky Follower installed

Carol Kilgore said...

Nice :)

Thanks for commenting for Alex today at Under the Tiki Hut.